BASEL HOUSE AT HOME WITH NATURE
KACES HERITAGE GUEST HOUSE
Our relationship with nature is a tempestuous one. While we have raised whole forest to plant the flag of urbanization, we also surely miss the presence of greenery in the midst of one omnipresent concrete jungles.
To go back to the nature and to the heritage of our forefathers and foremothers the Karnataka Theological College has renovated and modified a bungalow which was presented by the British in continuation of the Basel Mission work in Mangalore. This guest house has been renovated to provide facilities for the researchers, writers, visitors and for the benefit of all the well wishers of Karnataka Theological College.
This guest house has a history of its existence and use. According to the oral tradition this British bungalow was used as the judicial court. As per the records, inn September 1840, a large piece of ground, a hill half mile to the East of Mangalore, containing an extensive garden and the ruins of public buildings, destroyed by the Coorg insurgents in 1837, was ordered by Government to be put up for public sale. H.M. Blair Esq, principal Collector of Canara, to whose kindness and liberality the mission had been previously much indebted, and who was well acquainted with the circumstances and peculiar wants of the mission took opportunity of purchasing for a considerable sum those grounds and presented them to the Mission.
Two of the burnt down houses, the solid walls of which had stood the violence of three monsoons, were in the course of the past dry season, roofed in, and rendered habitable, which were after some time be occupied by the Mission. Over the years many German missionaries stayed in this palacious bungalow. Realizing the need to have a guest house the said building was renovated.
At present the eco-friendly guest house has the facilities of 24 hours hot water supply provided by the solar energy, television set in every room, two a/c rooms with separate toilets and bathroom and spacious parking places. Being situated in the midst of the quiet green atmosphere of Balmatta the guest house is fully furnished with kitchen and dining table decked with all amenities. The tiles of the house takes us to the era of big houses constructed with tiles, the immensely livable breathing structures built by the British intelligence with the help of the local artisans with large windows for the natural breeze from the east. Modern conveniences have been subtly blended without marring the original beauty of the bungalow.
Basel guest house definitely provides the awe of inspiration and ecstasy. Spacious sit-out with an antique round table surrounded by the wooden chairs takes you to the memories of the good old days and also the present days of developments and progress. The building which is almost 200 years old offers its guests tastes of the culture, tradition and memories of Dakshina Kannada.
The facilities of this Guest House will be made available for the researchers, scholars and the well-wishers of K.T.C. and to all the guests who would like to spend their time in this peaceful atmosphere.